I freely admit that I’m highly susceptible to the power of suggestion. I recently read a recipe in Bon Appetit for a shaken egg white cocktail. Fast forward a few days to when I was in the mood for a nightcap. I decided to give it a try. Here’s what I did:
- 2 oz. strawberry vodka
- 0.5 oz. thyme simple syrup
- 1 egg white (save the yolk for adding to an omelet or bread)
- ice, lots of it
- club soda
- thyme sprig
- Pour strawberry vodka, thyme simple syrup & egg white into a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously (like a boss) for 30 seconds.
- Add lots of ice, shake until freezing cold, about 10-15 seconds.
- Pour over ice in chilled glass. Top with just a splash of club soda.
- Garnish with a sprig of thyme & enjoy!
The cocktail itself was good but I think it needed something more, like rhubarb bitters or a bit of Cointreau. However, the creaminess from the egg white was spot on. I’m eager to try more.
Have you made or sampled any inventive cocktails lately?